Garbage and Recycling
Penn Township requires all residents to have mandatory trash and recycling pickup. This service is currently provided by Republic Services.
Your garbage and recycling will be picked up by Republic on the same day of the week, but your recycling will only be picked up every other week. Your day of the week is based on your street name. Click Here, to find your day of the week and pickup week. Click here to see the 2019 Recycling Schedule.
- Utilize larger 65-gallon wheeled carts for single-stream recycling. Note: You may request a 35-gallon wheeled cart instead.
- Republic will collect leaves (in bags) a total of seven weeks – two in the spring and five weeks in the fall. View Leaf & Yard Waste Page for additional details.
- Recycling bins will be located at municipal facilities and the fire stations.
- Important: Businesses, churches, schools and institutions cannot participate in curbside recycling, but are nonetheless required to make arrangements for their recycling pickup or disposal. Information on recycling drop-off can be found here.
New Recycling Rules for 2019
- Glass is no longer recyclable
- Plastics 3 – 7 are no longer recyclable
- Reminder: Do not put recyclables in plastic bags
- Your recycling container should only contain empty, clean, and dry cardboard, paper, metal cans, plastic bottles and jugs.
- Plastics 1 – 2
- Junk Mail
- Aluminum/Steel/Bi-Metal Cans
- Phone Books
- Milk or Juice Cartons with Gable Tops
- Juice/Soy Milk Containers (Aseptic Containers)
- Paperback Books
- Newspapers and Newspaper Inserts
- Office Paper
- Corrugated Cardboard (must be cut or flattened to fit in the cart)
Click here for additional information on preparing your items for recycling.
Senior citizens may choose to use the established Bag Program instead of the standard refuse collection. To qualify for the program, senior citizens (those aged 65 or older) should contact Republic to participate or to confirm that they are registered in the Program.
Effective: January 1, 2021 – Residents participating in the Senior Sticker Program must obtain stickers directly from Republic Services at the number provided below or by mailing a check* with your request. *If paying by check, please submit to the mailing address listed below. Be sure to specify the number of tags you are requesting and that you are a Penn Township resident.
Seniors residents must purchase (at minimum) a sheet of 5 garbage tags for $12.50 for use on garbage bags and bulky items.
Phone: (724) 907-5472
234 Landfill Road
Scottdale, PA. 15683
As a host community for Waste Management’s Valley Landfill Management Facility (Disposal) Penn Township residents incur benefits due to the regional impact of hosting a landfill. These include free disposal of municipal waste collected from Township residents, real estate taxes paid by the landfill and a percentage of the disposal fees paid quarterly to the Township. In addition residents can:
- Take recycling to the landfill for no charge. There is a public drop off that accepts:
- PLASTIC BOTTLES, jugs & jars marked as #1 or #2 plastic,
- METAL CANS,
- ALUMINUM CANS,
- PAPER/CHIPBOARD & CARDBOARD.
- Drop off grass clippings and brush for composting.
- Drive over the scales and pay to dump municipal waste.
- Drive over the scales and pay to dump large items like appliances.
- Drop off cut tires Pennsylvania DEP regulations.
More information can be found at https:\\www.wmsolutions.com OR the link to Valley’s Information: https://www.wmsolutions.com/locations/details/id/224
The Valley Landfill is located at 6015 Pleasant Valley Road Irwin, PA 15642