LEAF COLLECTION – SPRING & FALL
To limit debris clogging storm drains Penn Township conducts a fall leaf vacuuming along township roads. Residents and businesses are reminded that they always have the option of dropping off leaves and yard waste into the free bin at Valley Landfill designed for compost. (Landscape businesses are not included for free drop off privileges.)
NOTICE: No one, neither residents nor businesses, is permitted to burn leaves in Penn Township.
Leaf disposal options:
OPTION 1 – Mulch & Compost. This is the preferred method as it returns nutrients to the soil by mulching and compost the leaves, brush, or other yard waste. Running over leaves with a mulching lawn mower reduces the leaves to shreds that decompose and fertilize your lawn.
OPTION 2 – Take Bagged Leaves and Yard Waste to Valley Landfill. Township residents and businesses (not landscaping companies) may take leaves in paper (not plastic) biodegradable bags and loose brush and twigs to Valley Landfill themselves between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. on weekdays; there is no charge. If leaves are in paper biodegradable bags, they may be left in the bags when put in dumpster, but if they are in any kind of plastic bags whatsoever, they must be dumped from the bags and the bags removed.
OPTION 3 – Rake Leaves Curbside for Vacuuming. Township residents and businesses may rake leaves from the front of their property to the lawn side of the curb (Note: please do not rake leaves onto the roadway). Beginning mid-October, the Department of Public Works alternates vacuuming leaves for township residents rotating weekly between the east and west zones of the Township. The PA Turnpike Bridge serves as the zone divider.
2021 Department of Public Works Fall Leaf Vacuuming Schedule:
- Week of October 18th – East of Turnpike
- Week of October 25th – West of Turnpike
- Week of November 1st – East of Turnpike
- Week of November 8th – West of Turnpike
- Week of November 15th – East of Turnpike
- Week of November 22nd – West of Turnpike
- Week of November 29th – Final sweep of entire Township
*DPW reminds residents that a very late frost, high winds or heavy rains can effect when leaves will fall. The above schedule is an approximate timeline.
OPTION 4 – Curbside Pickup. Republic Services will conduct municipal-wide sweeps to collect leaf and yard waste. Residents should place their leaf and yard waste at the curb, in a biodegradable leaf bag on the evening before or by 6:00 am on the day of collection.
- October 16
- November 13
- December 11
Regular Collection Days:
- Place leaf and yard waste at curb with your normal garbage collection.
Preparing leaves & yard waste for curbside pickup:
- Grass clippings can be placed in a normal refuse collector.
- Leaves and other yard waste must be placed in paper biodegradable bags that weigh no more than 40 pounds. These bags are available online, from retail home improvement and grocery chain stores.
- Branches and twigs can be bundled into 4 foot sections that weigh no more than 40 pounds.
Note 1: Leaf and Yard Waste is defined as leaves, garden residues, and similar materials, excluding grass clippings.
Note 2: Bags and bundles should weigh no more than 40 pounds not to exceed more than 4 feet in length.